The currently active, darker Pittsburgh bands you’re likely to see performing live shows around town.
Electro Industrial / Industrial Rock
- 8-Bit Suicide: industrial/dark wave/metal
- 8Cylinder: long-running IDM/breakcore/8bit/industrial project by David Crimm
- Agnes Wired for Sound: NIN-inspired three-piece industrial band
- Allinaline: industrial solo project of Jeremy Creamer
- Decay on Display: industrial/metal band
- Espermachine: darkwave/EBM project fronted by James Esper, now located in Pittsburgh
- The Molecule Party: industrial band fronted by Sean Murphy
- Morpheus Laughing: electronic/industrial project from Derek Pegritz and Arvin Clay
- Only Flesh: glam/metal/punk/rock/industrial band known for on-stage suspension
- Red Lokust: EBM/industrial with Jim Semonik from Rein[Forced] and Lee Lauer of Aslan Faction
- Rein[Forced]: industrial/EBM with Jim Semonik on vox and D.A. Turner on keys
- Siege 15: industrial/punk/metal band
- Standard Issue Citizen: electronic/industrial band based in Buffalo and Pittsburgh
- Terror Firma Sky: solo dark electronic project from DJ TFS
- Tragic Impulse: solo industrial dance project by Paul Graham
- Venus in Furs: industrial rock band with both synths and live drums
Dark Ambient / Experimental / Noise
- Boxed Warning: electronic/experimental/industrial solo project of Chase Dudley
- Disheveled: experimental electronic music from Greg VanEck (Prometheus Burning)
- Dreamweapon: dark experimental project by Jason Clinton, formerly of Parvulus Infectus
- Fuck Telecorps: collaborative noise
- Macronymphia: noise project formed in 1990 by Joseph Roemer and Rodger Stella
- Majeure: dark ambient/minimal electronic
- O Heiðrún: female-fronted, dark ambient project by Shy Kennedy
- Virul God Complex experimental industrial/IDM project by DJ TFS
- Za Dharsh: experimental industrial project by Manny Theiner, formed in 1985
Darkwave / Synthpop
- Doors in the Labyrinth: darkwave/ambient solo project of film composer Josh Loughrey
- Hexweapon: minimal darkwave solo project from Jordan Decay
- Illusion of Joy: dark synthpop solo project of Seth Warren
- Surviving The Odyssey: electro-rock, trip-hop and alternative dance with female vocals
Dark Rock / Dark Folk / Shoegaze
- Carol Blaze: psychedelic/desert/shoegaze/sci-fi rock by A.T. Vish (ex-lowsunday)
- Chuck Owston: dark folk musician, also performs with bands Gypsy Ribbon or Wolf Rune
- The Devilz in the Detailz: gothabilly/darkwave four-piece with female vocals
- Patricia Wake: dark folk singer-songwriter with backup vocals
- Sound Elevator: dark shoegaze/spacerock with post-punk and trip-hop influences
- Bring Her: A two-piece “sorrow wave” band with female vox, formed in 2015.
- Death Instinct: a three-piece post-punk band
- Empty Beings: dark punk/deathrock band
- Flesh Cloud: punk/goth/surf
- Silence: four-piece post-punk band
- Sleeping Witch & Saturn: four-piece post-punk/goth/new wave band
- Wisteria: a four-piece post-punk band with female vocals
Dark music made in Pittsburgh. These projects are currently active but studio-only.
- Adam Christian: Goth/experimental electronic rock. Has had some live performances beginning in 1997. Released several recordings and had a track on Cleopatra’s Goth Bible.
- Derek C. F. Pegritz: experimental electronic from Derek of Morpheus Laughing (who also releases music as Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos and PEGRITZ!)
- Ganymede: IDM project by Jarrod Leda (formerly of Next Level X).
- Heathen Earth: ’70s industrial-inspired, dark ambient/noise project by Josh Howell
- Powder French: Formed in 1987, this is Pittsburgh’s longest-running dark-ambient/industrial-experimental artist, Gregg Puchalski.
- Una de Luna: electro/alternative/trip hop/dubstep band featuring Marla Degenhardt on vocals and Peter Guellard on guitar and programming. Was performing live from 2008-2012; currently a recording project.
- Vampire Nation Fredrik Von Hamilton’s gothic electronica project blends elements of darkwave, world music, and hip-hop. Founded in 1994, Vampire Nation performed live frequently in the ’90s and still records from time to time when not being thwarted.
- Veniculture: dark ambient solo recording project by Chad Hammitt of Agnes Wired for Sound
- Violaria: Members of seminal Pittsburgh goth/ethereal band The Garden reformed circa 2005 as this recording project.
For dark Pittsburgh bands that are no longer active or have relocated, see Bands That Were.