Notable regular dark club nights of Pittsburgh’s past.
Ended in 2019
- Haven (Dec. 2018-May 2019): DJ Crashzer0 and DJ Eclipse spun goth and industrial on the second Saturday of every month at Brewer’s Bar in Lawrenceville.
- Coven (Jan. 2018-April 2019): Various DJs spun a variety of dark musical styles every Thursday at Belvedere’s in Lawrenceville.
Ended in 2018
- Midian (April-Dec. 2018): Somewhat of a revival of a night from 2010, DJ Hiem and DJ Impulse spun new EBM, goth, and industrial as well as classics on the last Friday of the month at Cattivo in Lawrenceville, 9pm-2am, 21+.
Ended in 2017
- NeoNoir (2015?-Dec. 2017): Erica Scary and killjoy spun dark ’80s at Belvedere’s in Lawrenceville on the first Thursday of every month.
- Voodoo (Nov. 2015-Oct. 2017): DJ PhoeniXXX and guests played goth, darkwave, new wave, post-punk, EBM, industrial, aggro, synth pop, death rock, goth, etc., with performers on the third Friday of every month at Cruze in the Strip District, 9pm-2am, 21+.
- Fetish 101 (April 2014-Oct. 2017) This introduction-to-kink party, which was held quarterly on a Saturday at Cruze in the Strip District, featured dark dance tunes until Oct. 2017.
- Alternative 80s Night (Jan. 2014-July 2017): DJ SamAraI spun new wave, post punk, and industrial, with a little of that ’80s cheese. Originally at the Lava Lounge, moved to Jaggerbush on the South Side in May 2016. Held weekly on Fridays, 9pm-2am, 21+, with no cover.
Ended in 2016
- Night Warp (Jan.-Dec. 2016): DJ TFS and guests spun a wide variety of dark dance music. Scheduled almost monthly at Spirit and Cattivo in Lawrenceville.
- Spirit Board (Feb.-June, 2016): The Black Bat Society presented a night of ’80s and ’90s alternative, goth, dark wave, post-punk, synth pop, and industrial on occasional Thursdays in Lawrenceville.
Ended in 2015
- Obsidian (Jan.-Dec. 2015): Following a Ceremony Reunion in 2014, this night was founded by four former Ceremony residents (DJ Callisto, DJ Circuitry, DJ KellyA, and DJ TFS) and featured “gothic and industrial classics, forgotten gems, and future hits.” Held on Saturdays at Lava Lounge, it was first monthly and then twice-monthly.
- Last Rites (Dec. 2014.-Sept. 2015): DJ SamAraI spun goth, industrial, EBM, IDM, neofolk, dark ethereal, and dark wave with a guest DJ and a guest band one Saturday a month at The Night Gallery in Lawrenceville.
- Hanging Garden/Sinferno (Aug. 2009-Sept. 2015): Founded by LeeAnn Donan and Julie Devine, this event was held twice-monthly at Remedy in Lawrenceville before moving to Cattivo. In its later years, it emphasized electro-industrial featuring DJ Havok and guests.
- Night Time (March-Sept.[?] 2015): DJ Futurism and guests spun darkwave and industrial the first Sunday of the month at Brillobox in Lawrenceville.
- Hades Night (Jan.-July 2015): Held at Eclipse in Lawrenceville, this event featured William George Parham, DJ Christian, and guests spinning lesser-known, older songs of the dark underground, with a different theme each month.
- Darkwave DJs (Jan. 2014-May 2015): DJ EZ Lou and a guest spun darkwave every Thursday at Gus’s Cafe in Lawrenceville.
Ended in 2014
- Resurrection (Feb. 2010-July 2014): Established by DJ PhoeniXXX, Resurrection was a quarterly, 18+ goth and industrial event held at the Altar Bar. It hosted local and national guest DJs, performers, and vendors.
- ILLUSIONS (Sept. 2011-July 2014): This periodic night featured a mix of touring and local live acts, DJs and live visuals. Resident DJ/VJs Cutups, Tella, and VanEck spun occult techno, cosmic disco, minimal wave, post-punk, death rock, and witch house, first at Cattivo, then at Brillobox in Lawrenceville.
Ended in 2013
- Club Arkham (Dec. 2012-Dec. 2013): Monthly goth/electro night for ages 18+ with DJs Cy-Fi, Triptych and Mizerak, held first at The Pittsburgh Ironworks in Oakland, then at Mexico City Restaurant and The Gallery.
- Effigy (Aug.-Dec. 2013): DJs Crashzer0, Miss Amber, and Ash Eclipse spun at Cattivo in Lawrenceville.
- Obscure (Oct. 2012-Sept. 2013): Held at Cattivo in Lawrenceville, this was a night of fetish, kink, and performance art held on the first Friday of the month. It featured DJs Ash Eclipse, Crashzer0, and Miss Amber.
- Omen (July-autumn 2013): DJs EZ Lou, SamAraI, Electric, and guests spun on second Saturdays at Mexico City Restaurant downtown.
- Sanctuary (Dec. 2011-April 2013): Darkwave and industrial with DJ SamAraI, monthly on Saturdays at the Inn-Termission Lounge on the South Side.
Ended in 2012
- Upstage Nation (2007-2012): DJ EZ Lou and others spun every Sunday night at The Smiling Moose on the South Side.
- Transmission (late 2011-mid 2012): Dark alternative night founded by Phil Sauter and Jennifer Johnson. DJ EZ Lou and DJ SamAraI spun Thursdays at the Inn-Termission Lounge on the South Side.
Ended in 2011
- Elise’s Playground (circa 2006-2011): Fetish night held at locations including Mr. Small’s and Belvedere’s.
- Blackout (Jan.-June 2011): DJ N8theSk8 and guests spun dark alternative, dark indie, goth, death rock, industrial, EBM, trance, and dubstep once a month on Fridays at Cattivo in Lawrenceville, with live video projection by VJ C-town.
- Super Secret Dance Party (2008-2011): DJs N8theSk8, DJ Ding!bat, and others spun goth, punk, ’80s, indie, dark wave, alternative, EDM, and industrial every Saturday at The Smiling Moose on the South Side.
Ended in 2010
- Dominion (Aug-Oct. 2010): DJs Hiem and Miss Amber spun on Thursdays at the 31st St. Pub.
- Subterfuge (circa Spring 2010): Industrial Mondays at Altar Bar.
- City of the Dead (circa Spring 2010): DJ Reich, DJ Phoenixx, and DJ Heim spun industrial with zombie themes and burlesque dancers at Belvedere’s in Lawrenceville.
- Midian (Jan.-July 2010): DJs Hiem and Reiver spun goth/industrial on Thursdays at this 18+ night at the Fate Lounge in the Strip District.
Ended in 2009
- Club Nemesis (Oct. 2008-Nov. 2009): Founded by DJs Havok, PhoeniXXX, Eclipse, and Hiem, this monthly all ages event focused on current goth and industrial as well as some other forms of dark electronica. It began at Connections in Oakland before moving to Club Zoo.
- Halcyon (April 2007-Nov. 2009): DJs Mass Hysteria, Circuitry, Bedlamboy, Digitalwank, Relay, and guests spun dark electronica, downtempo, trip-hop, funk, soul, indie dance at Z:Lounge on the South Side. For the first year it was held every Friday, and thereafter was only on the third Friday of each month.
- Empire (2005-2006, 2009): DJs, Hiem, TFS, Lollidrop, Gary, and Bill spun at the White Hawk Cafe in Penn Hills and later at Jekyl & Hyde on the South Side. The night was revived briefly in 2009 at Your Inner Vagabond in Lawrenceville.
Ended in 2008
- Ceremony (Oct. 1996-Nov. 2008): This weekly dark dance night catered to those both under and over 21 and featured a team of 3-5 DJs known collectively as The Night Shift. It began at Club Laga before moving to The Upstage and then to Pegasus.
[Members of The Night Shift during the course of Ceremony’s 12-year run: KellyA, KellyD, Salo, Black Badtz, Circuitry, Hiem, Imperium, Alexx, Reason, Miss Joi, TFS, Ancilla, Mass Hysteria (later known as Callisto), Bedlamboy, Crash Zero, Sedition, and Phoenixxx.]
- Cobwebs (late fall 2007-summer 2008): DJs Jon, Eclipse, and guests spun classic deathrock, graveyard, darkwave, and dark alternative with a splash of new dark dance music and some live performance art at Hkan on the South Side every Saturday night.
Ended in 2006
- Asylum (2005-2006): Goth/industrial dancing at Pegasus with DJs Hiem, TFS, and Crashzer0.
Ended in 2005
- Carousel (Aug.-Dec. 2005): DJ 4JS spun electro-computercore, vintage goth, technopop, coldwave, glamrock, nu wave, no wave, and eighties obscurities every Friday at Ray’s Marlin Beach Bar & Grill in Lawrenceville.
- Antiquity (May 2002-March 2003): DJ Imperium and Lady Lazarus spun vintage goth, post punk, and death rock on Mondays at The Roman Room on the South Side
- Iniquity (circa 2003): Fridays at Jack’s Off Carson on the South Side
- Lipservice (mid 1999-Dec. 2002): DJs Projekt 13, 4JS, Elektroteknik, Lollidrop, Joi, and guests spun industrial, EBM, synthpop and electronica on Thursdays at The Roman Room on the South Side. The night later moved to Fridays.
- Black Kat Klub (circa 2000-2001): DJs Thee Undertakers spun industrial, progressive, techstep, metal, and goth on Mondays at the Roman Room on the South Side.
- Wired (1999-May 2000): DJs Neuronaut and X-ris spun gothic, industrial, darkwave, synthpop, and dark techno at The Upstage. Originally on Wednesdays, the night later moved to Saturdays.
- Pollinator (Summer 1998): DJ Black Badtz played industrial and electronica at the Pollinator (the upstairs bar at the Oakland Beehive Coffeehouse) for several months in the summer of 1998.
- Eclipse (circa 1997): DJ Kali spun industrial on Thursdays at Eclipse (formerly Babylon) in Oakland
- Pluto’s (circa 1997): Dark electronic dance nights were sometimes held at Pluto’s in the Strip District
- Ceremony (founded in 1996): See “Ended in 2008.”
- Babylon Tuesdays (circa 1995): Michael Nolan of Venus in Furs spun goth and industrial every Tuesday at Babylon in Oakland
- Cloud 9 (circa 1995): DJ Kali spun industrial every Monday at Cloud 9 in the Strip District
- Luna (circa 1995): Dark music nights were sometimes held at Luna in the Strip District
- Tepes Lounge (circa 1995): DJ Gene spun goth upstairs at Metropol in the Strip District on Sunday nights
- Upstage Fridays (circa 1995): DJ EZ Lou spun dark alternative classics every Friday.